El Paso Observing Memorial Day Virtually This Year
As we salute our past servicemen and women in the military this Memorial Day – El Pasoans are urged to observe the holiday virtually.
Thanks to the ongoing COVID 19 pandemic the El Paso community is asked to observe Memorial Day in a variety of ways that will adhere to social distancing guidelines with these suggestions:
- Honor our fallen military heroes by flying the United States flag at half-staff
- Consider taking a moment of silence at 3 p.m. in an act of symbolic unity
- Share pictures or videos our fallen military heroes on the City’s social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter using the hashtag #MemorialDay #HonoringOurHeroes #IAmElPaso
- The Fort Bliss Memorial Day Ceremony will be held virtually beginning at 9 a.m. today Monday, May 25, 2020. The ceremony will be streamed live on Facebook and can be viewed here: facebook.com/FortBlissGarrison/
The City of El Paso also reminds the public that some City services will also be reduced or not available all together to observe the holiday including:
- City staff from the One Stop Shop, Environmental Services Department and Municipal Court will be closed
- Sun Metro bus service will run on a Sunday schedule. The Brio and Streetcar will not be operational.
- The Greater El Paso Landfill will be closed. Residential trash and recycling collections will not be affected by the holiday.
- All facilities will remain closed, including public libraries, recreation centers, senior centers, aquatics facilities, sports fields, and the El Paso Zoo.
KEEP READING: Creative Ways to Bring Joy to Your Neighborhood While Social Distancing