Online Edition Of The PCFF Is Live Now Featuring F. Murray Abraham & Khalid
The online edition of the Plaza Classic Film Festival is live now and continues with features including interviews, movies, stars, and local filmmakers through August 9, 2020.
This year due to the pandemic, the 13th annual Plaza Classic Film Festival adapted by hosting pop up drive-in style movies including a streaming edition of digitally streamed movies such as 1984’s Amadeus along with an exclusive interview with El Paso’s F. Murray Abraham, El Paso pop star Khalid’s Free Spirit, and the annual Local Flavor filmmaker showcase.
This year’s virtual festival features seven documentaries, including Witness at Tornillo, Shane Franklin’s chronicle of one man’s effort to shut down a camp for migrant children in Tornillo, Texas.
The annual Local Flavor showcase highlights new local and locally connected films in two shorts programs, Local Flavor I and Local Flavor II. The third Local Flavor Awards will feature the announcement and encore screenings of two films, the $1,000 first prize, and $ 500-second prize selections. Also, Joshua Lozano’s Rest Stop, an adaptation of the Stephen King short story, will be screened out of the competition.
Get cozy and start popping that popcorn and tune in today from the comfort of your home with the online edition of the 13th annual Plaza Classic Film Festival.
- The Life and Times of Rosie the Riveter at 1 p.m.
- Banging Lanie, filmed in Las Cruces, N.M. (followed by a Q&A with director Allison Powell) at 3:30 p.m.
- Khalid’s Free Spirit, a companion piece to Khalid’s album of the same name, streams at 7:30 p.m
- Projections of America (with Q&A with director Peter Miller), 1 p.m.
- The Hanged Woman Vol. II: The Den of Iniquity (with Q&A with filmmaker Marco Marcus), 3:30 p.m.
- Singing Our Way to Freedom, 7 p.m.
- Witness at Tornillo, 1 p.m.
- The One and Only Jewish Miss America (with Q&A with director David Arond), 3:30 p.m.
- Local Flavor I (with filmmaker Q&A with curators Zach Passero and Lucky McKee), 7 p.m.
- Finding Freddy, Robert Holguin’s look at late El Paso comic Freddy Soto, 1 p.m.
- Rest Stop (with Q&A with filmmaker Joshua Lozano), 3:30 p.m.
- Local Flavor II (with filmmaker Q&A), 7 p.m.
The Local Flavor Awards, 1 pm; Amadeus (preceded by a Q&A with El Paso native F. Murray Abraham), 2 p.m.
Gallery — Every Movie Theater Candy, Ranked: