It’s Monsoon Season In El Paso: Here’s Where To Get Free Sandbags
Monsoon season is back, and so are the rain storms, which means portions of El Paso can expect to flood, so here is where you can pick up your free sandbags.
The National Weather Service is warning of continued showers and thunderstorms through the weekend and into next week.
The heavy and scattered rain storms have flooded streets and even caused some property damage across the city.
Last year's monsoon season was so intense that El Paso's landscapes and mountains were so green they gave off Ruidoso vibes.
The active monsoon season, which typically runs from June through September, brought so much rain last year that it sprouted fields of green, wildflowers, and an abundance of vegetation across the city.
The rain kept the landscape so saturated that Creosote (Gobernadora), including Texas Sage which bloomed like crazy, dotted the city in purple bunches from traffic medians to gardens and even sidewalks.
And while the rain kept everything green and lush, it also brought nasty mosquitoes, never-ending weeds, and flooding across the city.
As the monsoon season continues, El Pasoans are encouraged to pick up free sandbags for residents who live in areas prone to flooding.
Where To Pick Up Free Sandbags
El Paso Water customers can begin picking up sandbags (10 sandbags per visit) at 4801 Fred Wilson Ave, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, closed on weekends. Must show a Texas ID or an El Paso Water bill to pick up sandbags. Two more pick-up locations will open on July 5 - September 30, 2022, at:
- West El Paso at Artcraft Booster Station - 7830 Paseo Del Norte, El Paso, TX 79912
- East/Mission Valley at Blackie Chesher Park - 9292 Escobar Drive El Paso, TX 79907
Residents can pick up sandbags 24 hours a day outside of the facilities located at:
- Road and Bridge Fabens Warehouse, 1331 N. Fabens St., Fabens, TX 79838
- Road and Bridge Canutillo Warehouse, 191 Canutillo Avenue, Canutillo, TX 79835
- Road and Bridge Montana Warehouse, 14698 Van Lane, El Paso, TX 79938
- 341 Old Waco Tanks Road - Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Limit of 6 bags per vehicle)
- Rio Vista Community Center - 901 North Rio Vista - Open 24 hours (First come, first serve)
Free sandbags are available for residents at Vinton City Hall and the West Valley Fire Department.
- Vinton City Hall 436 E. Vinton Rd. Vinton, TX 79821 - Sandbags available in the front parking lot, next to the flag pole.
- West Valley Fire Department - 510 E. Vinton Rd., Vinton, TX 79821