Here’s What EPISD’s Daily Schedule Looks Like
What is the 2020/2021 school year going to look like? Who knows at this point. But we have an idea of what it's going to look like for the virtual learning at the beginning. Here is a sample student schedule:
- 8:15 to 8:30am - Teach CheckIn and SEL Connection with whole class
- 8:30 to 10:00am - English Language Arts/Reading with my Teacher, Workstations, Independent Practice
- 10:15 to 10:15am - Break
- 10:15am to 11:00am - Social Studies with my Teacher and Independent Practice
- 11:00 to 11:30am - Lunch
- 11:30am to 1:00pm - Math with my Teacher, Workstations, and Independent Practice
- 1:00 to 1:45pm - PE with my Coach and Independent Practice
- 1:45 to 2:30pm - Science with my Teacher and Independent Practice
- 2:30 to 2:40pm - Break
- 2:40 to 3:25pm - Enrichment with my Teacher, Workstations, and Independent Practice
- 3:25pm - End of the school day
I can see some issues with this.
First, that is a lot of screen time for kids. One thing that we know about screens is posture can suffer. Which means parents are going to have to be extra diligent keeping their kids posture up, and we know that isn't going to be easy as this leads me to my second point.
Here is what my family's situation has been since the Rona hit. My wife got laid off so she's been able to be home with our kid. It would be easier if she was able to stay that way and stay home with our kid, but she's been looking for work though and recently got a job. What are we supposed to do while we are both at work? That's going to be an issue.
Do I have a solution to this problem? No. But my family can't be the only one in this situation. So what are we supposed to do?