The Latest Hyundai Sun Bowl Projections
On Tuesday, Sun Bowl Executive Director Bernie Olivas dropped by the 600 ESPN El Paso studios for his weekly Hyundai Sun Bowl Watch feature. After Bernie broke down the possible scenarios, here arethe teams from both the ACC and Pac-12 still in the picture to play in El Paso on December 31st.
1. Georgia Tech – 95% certainty – This seems to be the closest thing to a lock for the Hyundai Sun Bowl. Olivas and the rest of the selection committee are ready to take the Yellow Jackets over Virginia, despite both teams having identical records. Georgia Tech did spend most of the season ranked in the Top 25.
2. Virginia 4% certainty – This is highly unlikely, but still a slight possibility. The Cavaliers have the same conference and overall record as Georgia Tech, and even beat the Yellow Jackets this season.
3. Florida State 1% certainty – There is virtually no chance the Seminoles get passed up by the Champs Bowl to play Notre Dame, but should they be available, the Sun Bowl would grab them in a heartbeat.
1. Utah 80% certainty – Despite their terrible loss to Colorado the final week of the regular season, the Utes have been targeted by the Sun Bowl for quite some time. They travel well and had won four straight before their loss to the Buffaloes. Junior running back John White IV has over 1400 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns this season. Both the Alamo and Holiday Bowls pick before the Hyundai Sun. If the Alamo takes Washington, the Holiday has already said they would grab Cal over Utah.
2. Washington 15% certainty - The only way the Huskies fall to the Sun Bowl is if the Alamo Bowl takes Utah and the Holiday Bowl selects Cal over Washington. Olivas has stated he’d love to bring Steve Sarkisian’s team to El Paso for the New Year’s Eve game.
3. Cal 5% certainty – Again, the chips would have to fall perfectly for this to happen. If the Alamo Bowl chooses Utah, then the Holiday Bowl would have to take Washington in order for the Golden Bears to make their first ever trip to the Hyundai Sun Bowl. Highly unlikely, but not out of the question.