Miss out on last week’s sports headlines? No need to worry. I’ll keep you at the top of your sports game with a 600 SportsCenter Headline Recap before a new week begins…
* No. 4 OU will play the UTEP Miners at the Sun Bowl Saturday. This will be the third meeting between the two schools. OU has outscored UTEP 123-14. UTEP is 0-11 against Big 12 teams.
* High School Football returns.
* The Seattle Seahawks released veteran wide receiver Terrell Owens
last Sunday. Owens was in a one-year contract.
*The Buffalo Bills acquired quarterback Tarvaris Jackson
from the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for an undisclosed draft choice.
*Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace ended his holdout
and was expected to sign his restricted free agent tender for 2012 which will pay the Ole Miss product $2.742 million.
*Former Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook
officially retired as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday.
will continue into the first week of the regular season. Negotiations toward a new collective bargaining agreement were in place as the two sides met for the first time in a month. However, after the third day a resolution was not met. Officials have been locked out since June.
*The Washington Redskins released tight end Chris Cooley
on Tuesday after eight seasons. Cooley held a emotional press conference.
* The NFL trade deadlines
has been pushed back by two weeks and there will be a slight modification to the injured reserved rules. The trade deadline will now be after Week 8 of the season instead of Week 6, while teams will be allowed to activate one player off injured reserve during the regular season.
Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully
will return to the booth for an unprecedented 64th season in 2013 according to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The Los Angeles Dodgers completed a blockbuster trade
with the Boston Red Sox. It’s one of the biggest trades in recent history, acquiring first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, outfielder Carl Crawford, pitcher Josh Beckett and infielder Nick Punto from the Red Sox.
* The sale of the San Diego Padres
has been completed. A group led by longtime San Diego businessman Ron Fowler agreed to purchase the club from John Moores for $800 million.
* Toronto Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista
will undergo season-ending surgery on his left wrist.
* The Louisiana Tech and Texas A&M game scheduled for Thursday night has been postponed because of Hurricane Isaac.
* Hurricane Isaac also forced the LSU to cancel it’s scheduled practice Wednesday.
* No. 9 South Carolina came through with a 17-13 win over Vanderbilt in the season opener for both teams.
* Former Texas Tech football coach, Mike Leach
, made his debut with Washington State in a 30-6 loss to BYU on Thursday.
* Michigan tailback Fitzgerald Toussaint
and defensive end Frank Clark have been suspended one game and will miss the season-opener against second-ranked and defending national champion Alabama on Saturday.
* Nick Watney posted a 2-under 69 on Sunday to come from behind and win The Barclays
, the first event in the PGA Tour Playoffs.
* RESULTS: U.S. Open
at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York