UTEP Hires Dave Warner as Next Offensive Coordinator
To round out the coordinator hirings, UTEP football head coach Dana Dimel formally announced the hiring of Dave Warner as the next offensive coordinator.
Last night, Zach Barnett of Football Scoop reported that Bradley Dale Peveto is set to become the next defensive coordinator for the Miners.
Warner recently spent 13 seasons as a positional coach at Michigan State and brings 36 years of coaching history to UTEP. With the Spartans, he served as offensive coordinator/running backs coach (2013-18) and quarterback coach (2007-12; 2019).
Like Peveto, Warner spent time with Dimel at Houston as the staff's passing coordinator and quarterbacks coach (2001-02). Warner and Dimel also worked together at Wyoming during the 1998 season.
Houston went 0-11 during the 2001 season and 5-7 the next year. Wyoming finished 8-3 during the '98 campaign.
“Dave is going to be a great communicator for our offense and quarterbacks,” Dimel said in a statement. “He brings a ton of experience to our football program as offensive coordinator. He did a tremendous job at Michigan State for so many years and was such a huge help in our time together coaching at previous stops. He will be a great addition to the staff helping progress the program to where we want to be.”
Three of the last five starting quarterbacks Warner previously coached at Michigan State are currently playing in the NFL, including Brian Hoyer, New England Patriots; Kirk Cousins Minnesota Vikings; and Connor Cook, Detroit Lions.
Rip City Trades on Twitter pointed out that Warner's offenses have really struggled at Michigan State in the past.
Warner will replace Mike Canales as offensive coordinator, who was fired after his third season with the team.
PREVIOUS COACHING EXPERIENCE:
- College - Graduate assistant at Syracuse (1982-83)
- Running backs coach (1984-85) and quarterbacks coach (1986-87) at Kent State
- Quarterbacks coach at Kansas (1988-96)
- Quarterbacks coach at Bucknell (1997)
- Passing game coordinator at Wyoming (1998)
- Offensive coordinator at Connecticut (1999-2000)
- Passing game coordinator at Houston (2001-02)
- Wide receivers coach at Southern Miss (2003-04)
- Quarterbacks coach at Cincinnati (2006)
- Quarterbacks/Offensive Coordinator/Passing Game Coordinator (2007-19)