NFL Mock Draft 2021: Robert Garcia Picks the 1st Round
This time of year, anyone who has ever listened to 600 ESPN El Paso and SportsTalk for the last 20-plus years is familiar with the name Robert Garcia. Years ago, he was nicknamed the "football guru" because of his passion for the sport. He also published his own NFL Draft Guide in 1994 and 1995, which have become highly sought after collectibles. I searched eBay and did not find any copies available for sale.
One of the things I look forward to most is Robert's Top NFL Draft Prospects and Mock Draft. His Top 40 list came out on Tuesday and now we have his much anticipated 2021 NFL Mock Draft for your enjoyment. So, take a good long look at how our Football Guru projects the first round tonight, in his own words, and we will review his accuracy after the draft.
It’s Draft Day! Another year, and another mock draft to be torn to shreds. I am hoping for a fun and entertaining draft as I think there is going to be a good amount of movement in the top fifteen picks.
Quarterbacks, wide receivers, and offensive lineman should dominate the early part of the round, and the first three picks all being signal callers for the first time since 1999.
With that said, it’s time to take a look at my 600 ESPN El Paso NFL Mock Draft. I am projecting what teams will do with their picks but have added my thoughts on what they should do, or what I would do. I don’t project trades, so this should blow up by picks four through seven.
1. Jacksonville – Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
2. NY Jets – Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
3. San Francisco – Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
WWRD? Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State – my favorite QB in the draft who also has the highest ceiling.
4. Atlanta – Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
WWRD? Ditto! This is a tough one because I really like Lance, but Pitts is an insane talent!
5. Cincinnati – Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU
WWRD? Ditto! There is better depth along the offensive line. Take the star wideout.
6. Miami – Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
WWRD? Ditto! The Fins could use a dynamic threat on offense, Waddle fits the bill.
7. Detroit – Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
WWRD? Trade back! The Lions have holes all over this team. Trade back and acquire picks.
8. Carolina– Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
WWRD? Trade back! Give Sam Darnold a chance to prove he can be a legit NFL quarterback.
9. Denver – Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
WWRD? Ditto! There will be a QB there for the Broncos next year if needed.
10. Dallas – Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
WWRD? Ditto! This defense STINKS! Surtain helps change that.
11. NY Giants – DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
WWRD? Ditto! Too good a talent to pass up for the 31st ranked offense in the NFL.
12. Philadelphia – Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
WWRD? Ditto! The Eagles defensive backfield needs an upgrade and some attitude, Horn brings both.
13. LA Chargers – Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
WWRD? I prefer Vera-Tucker as he is rated my third highest offensive lineman in the draft.
14. Minnesota – Alijah Vera-Tucker, G/OT, USC
WWRD? Ditto! The Vikings horrible play along the offensive front has cost them too many games.
15. New England – Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
WWRD? Ditto! Justin Fields may be more physically gifted, but Lance’s overall upside is greater.
16. Arizona – Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
WWRD? Trade back! Newsome is a bit of a reach at this point but all the top wideouts are gone.
17. Las Vegas – Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
WWRD? Ditto! The Raiders need help throughout their defense and this kid flies from sideline to sideline.
18. Miami – Zaven Collins, OLB, Edge, Tulsa
WWRD? Trade back! A bit of a reach but a player who fits Brian Flores’ scheme on defense.
19. Washington – Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
WWRD? Ditto! Yeah, I know, does Fields really fall this far back and would the WFT draft another Buckeye quarterback?
20. Chicago – Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State
WWRD? Ditto! Bears are desperate for a right tackle. Jenkins is massive and has a fiery edge to his game.
21. Indianapolis – Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan
WWRD? Trade back! The Colts lack draft picks, and this is too early to start the run on defensive ends.
22. Tennessee – Elijah Moore, WR, Mississippi
WWRD? Ditto! Tennessee needs some pass catchers after Corey Davis left via free agency.
23. NY Jets – Caleb Farley, DB, Virginia Tech
WWRD? Trade back! There are injury concerns surrounding Farley, but he is too talented pass up.
24. Pittsburgh – Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
WWRD? Ditto! The Steelers run game stunk last year and this kid is also a solid receiving threat.
25. Jacksonville – Kadarius Tony, WR, Florida
WWRD? Ditto! Trevor Lawrence is going to need someone to throw to, and Toney is a fast and dynamic wideout.
26. Cleveland – Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky
WWRD? Ditto! There Browns continue to fortify their defense.
27. Baltimore – Azeez Ojulari, Edge, Georgia
WWRD? Trade back! If the Ravens can’t trade back, they can try and replace the departed Matt Judon with Ojulari.
28. New Orleans – Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia
WWRD? Ditto! The Saints are desperate for help at corner and Campbell has insane physical traits.
29. Green Bay – Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
WWRD? Ditto! I love this kid as he can play in the slot or on the outside. Great route runner and ran a sub 4.4 forty at his pro day.
30. Buffalo – Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami
WWRD? Trade back! Rousseau has the physical traits to be a solid if not, above average pass rusher.
31. Baltimore – Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU
WWRD? Ditto! Marshall needs to learn how to secure the ball better, but his physical traits and speed are fantastic.
32. Tampa Bay – Joe Tryon, Edge, Washington
WWRD? Ditto! Tryon has a great first step, long arms and can rush the passer.
Follow Robert Garcia on Twitter @draftcheese