Local Pet Charities You can Donate To In Honor Of Betty White’s 100th Birthday
Animal lovers around the world are honoring Betty White on what would have been her 100th birthday by donating to local animal rescues. Hollywood legend Betty White was known for her comedic chops but she was also a huge animal lover. Fans were heartbroken when the Golden Girl passed away on New Year's Eve, just shy of her 100th birthday, but many are now planning on honoring her by supporting a cause she loved.
On January 17th, people are encouraged to pick a local animal rescue or shelter they would like to support and make a $5 donation in Betty White's name. It's being called the #BettyWhiteChallenge and it's gaining momentum online. White was a passionate animal advocate and even received the National Humanitarian Medal from the American Humane organization. Her other honors include the James Smithson Bicentennial Medal, the Jane Goodall Institue Global Leadership Award for Lifetime Achievement, and she also served on the board of trustees for the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association.
For those who wish to participate in the BettyWhiteChallenge there are plenty of great local animal rescues who do amazing work in the Borderland that you can help. Here are just a few we think you should look at donating to. And you don't have to stop at $5, donate as much as you can to help local animals in need.
- El Paso Pug Rescue- helps pugs, pekinese, frenchies, and all Brachycephalic breeds that are abused, neglected, strays, and more. The rescue currently has thousands in vet bills and desperately needs donations.
- Laws N Paws- works with local law enforcement to help protect abused and neglected animals
- Muttlove Dog Rescue- works to help animals and explore every medical opportunity available for each animal they helps to give them a fair shot at life.
- Animal Rescue League- helps stray, abandoned, orphaned, abused and injured animals with medical care and shelter during times of need.
- SafeHaven Animal Sanctuary- no-kill animal rescue that works to help animals in need in New Mexico find loving homes.
- ACTion Program For Animals- works to help the Las Cruces community reach a no-kill status by helping save animals from city shelters.
KEEP LOOKING: See What 50 of America's Most 'Pupular' Dog Breeds Look Like as Puppies
Check out these 50 fascinating facts about dogs: