Epic Video of El Paso County Fireworks Stand Going Up in Flames
It wasn’t one of the sanctioned professional firework displays, but motorists passing by a fireworks stand in Canutillo were treated to quite the fireworks show Wednesday night (7/1).
The chaotic and spectacular sight was captured on cell phone video by numerous witnesses and shared on social media. The clips show the stand, located on Doniphan and Chanate Drive, in a blaze while fireworks explode through flames and smoke.
Based on initial reports, it appears to be a case of fireworks gone wrong. According to a local news station, fire department officials said a lit firework flying into the stand was the cause of the fire. The station also reported two vehicles damaged, including a Calvary West Christian School van used to transport the students who were there fundraising.
The video illustrates the dangers of using fireworks and should serve as a cautionary tale. Anyone considering shooting off fireworks this weekend should take precautions such as having buckets of water or a garden hose nearby, using them only on barren or paved lands, and avoid the use of aerial devices such as spinners, missile-type rockets, Roman candles, and stick-type rockets.
More importantly, it should also be noted fireworks have been banned this year. It is illegal to pop fireworks inside and outside El Paso city limits over the July 4th weekend, beginning at noon Friday, July 3 through midnight Sunday, July 5.