5 Day Trips (Under 3 Hours) To Celebrate Dad On Father’s Day
Father’s Day is coming up, so we’ve put together a list of five fun day trips (under three hours) to celebrate Dad this weekend.
El Paso is distinctly positioned near both a state and international border, making for short day and weekend trips visiting our nearby neighbors with only a few miles of driving.
Spend some quality time with dad celebrating Father’s Day weekend at any of these day road trips within 3 hours of driving or less exploring Mother Nature, pecan groves, gypsum dunes, and much more.
Site: Spend time exploring underground caves and the natural wonders at the famous Carlsbad Caverns National Park. Visitors can walk to the main caverns through the natural cave opening, with tours offered daily.
- Hours: The caverns open at 8 a.m. daily, and the last elevator down leaves at 3:30 p.m. - the last walk-in is 2 p.m. (hours extended 1 1/2 hours in summer).
- Admission: Cost is $6, $3 for ages 6-15, for seniors with a discount card.
- Information: (505) 785-2232 or visit www.nps.gov/cave.
- Driving Distance from El Paso: 2 hours, 25 minutes.
Site: White Sands National Monument is the largest deposit of gypsum sand in the world, creating rolling dunes for miles. The year-round attraction offers extraordinary vistas, relaxing hikes, and ranger-guided Sunset Stroll Nature Walks are offered an hour before sunset.
- Hours: The visitor center is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Dunes Drive from 7 a.m. to sunset with expanded hours in the summertime.
- Admission: $3 for adults.
- Information: (505) 479-6124 or www.nps.gov/whsa.
- Distance Driving from El Paso: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Site: Located within the Lincoln National Forest, Cloudcroft offers 480,000 acres of open forest perfect for outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, bird watching, horseback riding, and so much more. The charming mountain village also offers plenty of shops, restaurants, and even a museum filled with our area's logging and railroad history.
- Hours: Open
- Admission: Free
- Information: Visit https://www.newmexico.org/places-to-visit/regions/southeast/cloudcroft/
- Distance Driving from El Paso: Under 2 hours
Site: Take a drive on Highway 28, the old, two-lane road that runs from North El Paso to Old Mesilla, New Mexico. Lined with pecan orchards that stretch for miles, the winding path along Highway 28 includes scenery that takes you past chile farms, wine vineyards, horse and cattle ranches, and plenty of historical sites and eats along the way.
- Hours: Anytime
- Admission: Free
- Information: To pick up some fresh pecans, stop by Stahmanns Pecans at 22500 NM-28, La Mesa, NM 88044 - Phone: (844) 739-6887
- Driving Distance from El Paso: 25-45 minutes
Cattleman's Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch
Site: Dad will surely love a delicious steak at Cattleman's Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch, one of the best steak houses in the country. In Fabens, Texas, the Cowboy-style chophouse operates on a working ranch serving up big steaks, BBQ & seafood – perfect for celebrating Dad on Father’s Day!
- Hours: Open 12:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends
- Admission: Free
- Information: Call 915-544-3200
- Driving Distance from El Paso: 30-45 minutes
There is certainly enough to see and do here to make a full weekend getaway from El Paso, but no matter what you decide at the end of the day, Dad just wants to spend some quality time with the whole fam bam.
El Paso's Blue Moon Drive-In