Pump the Brakes Folks, That Was Just Week 1 of the NFL
I know, it's exciting when your team gets a big win. It also sucks when your team gets the crap kicked out of them. But I have some good and bad news. It's just week one. It doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.
Yes, the first week of the season can be a precursor to what that year has in store. But, it can also mean a whole lot of nothing. Here are some week one anomalies:
- The Ravens thumped the Bills in week one, 47 to 3. They finished 10 and 6, barely making the playoffs before getting ousted by the Chargers in the Wild Card round.
- The Buccaneers went into New Orleans and beat the Saints 48 to 40. The Saints ended up with the number one seed in the NFC, and the Buccaneers ended up going 5 and 11.
- The Jets thumped the Lions 48 to 17. The Jets would only win 3 more games all year, and the Lions would finish 6 and 10.
- But one of those 6 wins by the Lions was an absolute dismantling of the future Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.
- Just a couple years ago the Chiefs went into Foxboro and beat the Patriots in the season opener. New England ended up making the Super Bowl.
What about teams that started the season hot? CLICK HERE to check out some teams that started the season at least 3 and 0, only to miss the playoffs.
This is a bit of an outlier, but you can also look at the Baltimore Ravens from 2012 as a reason to not necessarily trust everything you see on the field. That team lost 4 of it's last 5 games that year, only to run the table and win the Super Bowl.
I know. It's fun to speculate after the first week of the season in the NFL. But remember, it's just one week. Take every game with a gigantic grain of salt.