Football Friday Night Week Eight Preview
It's do-or-die time for high school football across the borderland, as we enter our second week of district play and the eighth week of the season. Stakes are high with some top-heavy games set across the borderland.
In our YMCA Game of the Week, Parkland (1-0, 5-0-1) will take on Ysleta (1-0, 6-0) in the final matchup of undefeated teams across the borderland. Parkland has been one of the best teams in the city after their tied game to Burges in week one. Although the Indians have battled through close games recently, like their 18-15 win in overtime against Canutillo, they somehow pull off win after win. They are hoping they can pull off a big upset at home this week. Listen to the game here.
Pebble Hills (1-0, 4-2) and Montwood (1-0, 3-3) will square off in a key 1-6A matchup tonight as well. Pebble Hills boasts an explosive offense, while it has been Montwood's defense that has won them games down the stretch.
After their huge win last week against Eastlake, Eastwood (1-0, 3-3) will face their biggest test in the city yet when they take on Del Valle (1-0, 4-1). Both teams here can score favorably and this could turn to a shootout.
Then there becomes potential playoff contender games, such as Bowie at Austin, El Paso at Burges, Riverside at Canutillo and Hanks at Horizon. All teams here are vying for playoff contention and inch their way with more district wins under their belts.
Here's the full schedule for tonight's games:
- Parkland (1-0, 5-0-1) @ Ysleta (1-0, 6-0)
- Pebble Hills (1-0, 4-2) @ Montwood (1-0, 3-3)
- Eastwood (1-0, 3-3) @ Del Valle (1-0, 4-1)
- Eastlake (0-1, 3-3) @ Chapin (1-0, 2-4)
- Bowie (0-2, 2-4) @ Austin (4-2, 2-1)
- El Paso (1-2, 3-4) @ Burges (1-1, 3-2-1)
- Jefferson (0-3, 1-6) @ Andress (2-0, 4-2)
- Riverside (3-3, 1-0) @ Canutillo (0-1, 2-4)
- Hanks (0-1, 3-3) @ Horizon (0-1, 2-4)