Some of you will stay home instead of heading out for the Fourth of July and celebrate by popping your own fireworks. Yes, they are fun, but they also can be very dangerous.   According to the American Society for Surgery on the Hand website,  On average, 230 people visit the emergency room every day with fireworks-related injuries in the weeks around July 4. Most of these injuries are to the hands and fingers. Fireworks can also cause serious injuries to your eyes. 

It is actually the most common fireworks that can be very dangerous.  Firecrackers, bottle rockets, and sparklers. Did you that sparklers can burn at about 2,000 degrees, which is hot enough to melt metal! If you are going to celebrate with fireworks, VictoriaCounty Fire Marshal’s Office offers the following fireworks safety tips:

FIREWORK SAFETY TIPS:

  •  Only buy fireworks from a reputable and licensed fireworks stand. (State-licensed stands have a State Fire Marshal’s Retail Permit posted.)
  • Never give fireworks to small children.
  • Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees -hot enough to melt some metals.
  • Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a "designated shooter."
  • Only persons over the age of 12 should be allowed to handle sparklers or fireworks of any type, and only with adult supervision
  • Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
  • Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water and then disposing of them in your trashcan. After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire

To see the full firework safety list please visit the vctx.org website.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BURNED:

Now if you happen to have a burn, here are the best practices for medical treatment. One way to consider treatment is to consider the THREE C's; Cool - Call - Cover

  • Cool the wound. Do NOT USE cold Water, cold water restricts the blood vessels which can lead to complications during recovery. Instead, use slightly cool water.
  • Call 911. It's generally recommended to call 911 if the burn area is larger than the size of your palm.
  • Cover the wound loosely with CLEAN gauze or bandages.

Funky Finds At the Bottom of the SA River Riverwalk

SURPRISING WAYS TO KEEP COOL THIS SUMMER

Have you heard of any of these?

CHECK IT OUT: See the 100 most popular brands in America