Chihuahuas & Padres Announce Revamped Coaching Staff Led By Former MLB Infielder
The El Paso Chihuahuas, under the leadership of its parent club in the San Diego Padres, announced a fresh batch of coaches to lead the charge for the Triple-A team on Tuesday ahead of the 2022 campaign.
Former MLB infielder Jared Sandberg was named the sixth manager in Chihuahuas history. He had recently been a member of Seattle's coaching staff (2019-21) as both a field coordinator and a bench coach. Prior to his stint with the Mariners, he managed in the Tampa Bay Rays organization (2009-18), including managerial experience with Triple-A Durham (2017 & 2018).
As a former player, Sandberg played infield for the Rays from 2001-03. The Chihuahuas have had success with former players turned managers leading their program. Rod Barajas, who served as manager for three seasons (2016-18), coached the team to three division titles and one Pacific Coast League championship.
He will follow up Edwin Rodriguez, who resigned last season as the manager of the Chihuahuas. Rodriguez, 61, worked over 42 years in professional baseball, including as a manager for two decades across four different teams. El Paso went 46-74 in 2021 and finished near the bottom of the Triple-A West Standings.
“Jared’s background and experience as a Major League player and coach brings our team and fans a manager with extraordinary skills. We look forward to welcoming him and all of our coaching and training staff to El Paso,”
- MountainStar Sports Group President Alan Ledford
“I look forward to reuniting with Jared as our manager in 2022 while also welcoming new coaches and returning staff. Jared and I were together briefly in Bowling Green, Kentucky, in 2013, before I came to El Paso. It will be exciting to come full circle with him,” - Chihuahuas Senior Vice President and General Manager Brad Taylor
Quick Facts on 2022 Chihuahuas coaching staff
Mike McCarthy, pitching coach
- 1st season with the Padres
- Bullpen coach and pitching coach with Minnesota (2018-21) and Triple-A St. Paul
- Pitched professionally with the Red Sox organization (2011-16)
Jonathan Matthews, hitting coach
- 1st season in El Paso, 6th with the Padres
- Hitting coach at High-A Fort Wayne (2021)
- Padres outfield coach (2017)
Robby Hammock, bench coach
- 1st season with the Padres organization
- Diamondbacks Major League quality control and catching coach (2017-21)
- Played 6 years in the majors with Arizona (spent parts of three seasons with the El Paso Diablos from 2000-02.)
Brad LaRosa, athletic trainer
- 1st season as a trainer with Padres
A.J. Russell, strength coach
- 11th season as strength coach for Padres