Taking My Crack at the Mega Millions Jackpot!
It seem like every five years or so the Mega Millions Lottery reaches an ungodly amount and it becomes a huge national story. It's as if 80 million does little for people, but once that jackpot swells to 100 million plus everyone comes out of the woodwork to buy a ticket.
For the first time in my life include me in that category. After hearing about the $640 million jackpot I finally broke down and bought five quick pick tickets from a gas station.
I have been a gambler my whole life and am hardly a moralist about the lottery, but it's just something I've never taken much interest in. I'm told the Texas Lottery supports Texas education; I'll believe that when I see it.
With the odds of winning the lottery at about 1 in 176 million I don't plan on quitting my day job anytime soon. I decided to compile a list of things that have better odds than me winning the lottery.
1. Getting struck by lightning
2. Dying in a plane crash
3. Getting struck by lightning after dying in a plane crash
4. Getting hit by a falling air conditioning unit
5. Snow in July in El Paso
6. Hooking up with Kate Upton and Gisele in the same night
7. The Royals and Pirates playing for the 2012 World Series (nah, I probably have a better chance of winning the lottery)
8. A playoff in college football
9. A 16 seed winning the NCAA Tournament
10. A woman becoming a member of Augusta National Golf Club
I hope to say my five dollars was well spent, but in reality I know I may as well have lit it on fire and flushed it down the toilet.
Good luck fellow lottery players! (just kidding)